Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Problems running ChkDsk in Vista

One problem I have recently noticed relating to my Dell M1330; When I want to run chkdsk on reboot, it never runs after setting it to run. I like to run chkdsk from time to time if I find that the drive is either running excessively or I had to run a repair after some sort of failure (such as not coming out of hibernation correctly or blue screen).

When I run the "chkdsk c: /r" to check for errors and repair them, it simply doesn't run after reboot as it should. Now, you should know, there is a work around for this in Vista. Similar to the "Recovery Console" in windows XP, you can boot up to your Vista DVD/CD and choose repair after choosing your language. Then choose "Command Prompt" and from there you can run chkdsk. This doesn't necessarily solve the problem of why it won't work from windows correctly, but at least it lets you run it.

I should also note that I have run into this problem on one Dell XPS desktop I was working on as well as two HP desktops. So my feeling is that this is a common problem for Windows Vista (at least until SP1)

No comments: